Jan 27, 2014

Pirate Costume Inspiration

My siblings and I are going to be making a pirate film this summer and I'm excited to be making the costumes for our little film. I've started doing a little research on pirate costumes from movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean. One thing I really want to do is make the costumes feel like they could have come out of the 18th century. I don't know if this is actually going to happen, but it's my goal.

Here's a few of the costumes from Pirates of the Caribbean designed by Penny Rose.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Costume Design by Penny Rose

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) Costume Design by Penny Rose


Via The Costumer's Guide

Via the Costumer's Guide

And here's a few other pirate costume's I found on Pinterest.



Pirate

While I was looking at fashion from the 18th century, the type of clothing that caught my eye was the riding habits of the era. I think that's probably because they were designed for an outdoor activity in the first place. Something along those lines could work.
Riding Waistcoat | V Museum | c. 1790-1795
Riding Waistcoat | V Museum | c. 1790-1795

This riding habit jacket in particular caught my eye. I like the the buttons and embroidery on the front, it has a sort of military influence to it. I also really like the hat.
Riding habit, 1770-1775
Riding habit, 1770-1775
The Met:    Riding Coat, 1760, English    Silk and goat hair
The Met: Riding Coat, 1760, English Silk and goat hair

I think the hardest part in making the costumes will be the female pirates because unless I do it just right, a skirt won't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment