Oct 1, 2016

The Shop Company Sewing Form Review

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just purchased a new sewing form. In exchange for a review on my blog and YouTube channel they gave me a discount on any of their forms. You can view my video review HERE.

I ended up choosing their Professional Female Dress Form with Collapsible Shoulders after reading several reviews of their forms. Priced at $269 (and free shipping!) it's a pretty good deal. The other sewing forms I had been looking at before finding The Shop Company were the kind's you see at Joann's priced between $100-$200 depending on where you bought them.


I've been searching for a good dress form for a while now since my old duct tape form was becoming less and less useful to me. But the more reviews I read about the adjustable sewing forms, the less I wanted to buy one. A lot of reviews for that type of form said they weren't very sturdy, you could hardly pin to it,  and adjusting the sizes didn't work... I knew that I would like a real, quality dress form but the only place I could find them was from Wolf, which start at $800.



After searching for quite some time I finally came across The Shop Company and immediately fell in love with their forms as well as their prices ;). Since I hadn't heard of the company before I did some research and read a lot of reviews. Every one of them had good things to say.








So one thing led to another and now I have a new, beautiful sewing form!

The Pros:

  • Affordable. Priced from $189-$300 for basic forms, they're a good deal.
  • Sturdy. This form is very sturdy and I've already put several dresses on it without any problems. The base of the frame is made from some heavy duty steel, so this thing isn't going anywhere!
  • Adjustable height. It has a foot pedal to easily adjust the height.
  • Has princess and side seams as well as metal armholes. This is really good for draping/drafting patterns.
  • Is a full figure. This means I'll be able to put my Victorian bustle on it without any problems!
  • Is pinable. The pins don't go straight in, but you can most definitely still pin to this.
  • Looks professional. Having this form not only makes me look but feel more professional.
The Cons:
  • The height's just a little too tall. Even with the height as low as it can go, it's still just a tiny bit too tall for me. It's really not a problem though and I am on the shorter side, so taller people shouldn't have a problem.
  • The wheels don't move too well on carpet. But this is to be expected.
  • Size. The size of my sewing form is on the small side, but I chose that (somewhat) on purpose. I have a small bust and so I chose the size that matched my bust, which means that the rest of the measurements are several inches smaller than my own. But this isn't entirely a bad thing because I can pad it and it also fits my corseted measurements.

A few other notes is that shipping was very fast. It took 2 days after I placed my order for it to ship and then only took a few days after that to be delivered. I also want to note that their customer service was absolutely amazing! They answered all of my questions quickly and were very helpful.

So if you're looking for a professional, affordable sewing form, I can definitely recommend The Shop Company!

No comments:

Post a Comment