Oct 27, 2017

Halloween Costume's for Historical Costumers

With Halloween only a few days away, it's time to pull out the costumes. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays because it's an excuse to dress up, and eat way too much candy (but don't tell anyone I said that).

Each year I usually try to make a special costume for Halloween, but this year I didn't have the time to start on anything early enough and I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do. I started thinking up costume idea's that would fit with some of my historical clothing that I hadn't worn yet or very often, because I love wearing period clothing and will come up with any excuse to wear it.



I came up with a few idea's that aren't too specific and can work with a variety of period clothing, which I thought I'd share in case someone out there needs some inspiration.


18th century:
  • Marie Antoinette, 1770's-90's
  • Eliza Schuyler (Historical or not), 1770's-1810's
  • Clair Fraser (Outlander), 1740's
  • Elizabeth Swan (Pirates of the Caribbean), 1720-50's
  • Lizzie Bennet (Pride and Prejudice), 1790's-1810's

19th Century:
  • Cosette (Les Miserables), 1830's
  • Jane Eyre, 1830's or 40's
  • Margaret Hale (North & South), 1850's
  • Christine Daae (The Phantom of the Opera), early 1870's
My Halloween Costume in 2016 - Jane Eyre

20th Century:
  • Dolly (Hello, Dolly!), early 1890's-1900's
  • Elizabeth Thatcher (When Calls the Heart), 1910's
  • Anne (Anne of Green Gables), 1900's
  • Nancy Drew, 1920's-60's
  • Amelia Earhart, 1920's-30's aviator
Then of course, there's always Victorian "Fancy Dress" costumes, if you have the time to put into it. I love seeing Victorian costumes because they're so unique and usually quite silly.

    Victorian bat costume illustration from the 1892 book "Masquerade and Carnival Their Customs and Costumes" by E. Butterick

    I'll be sharing my own historical Halloween costume in my Monday post, but for now I have to keep it a secret until after I wear it at a party on Sunday.

    What are you dressing up as for Halloween? Do you like to wear historical costumes for Halloween? Let me know in the comments!

    2 comments: